Emotional Support Animal Policy

While many of our staff love animals and are pet owners, the Counseling Center is not able to provide assessments to document the need for an Emotional Support Animal (ESA).

ESAs are viewed under the Federal Housing Act (FHAct, 42 U.S.C.A. 3601 et seq) as a “reasonable accommodation” for those who have a physical or mental disability.

Guidelines and Documentation Requirements Related to ESAs 

Additionally, if you live in University Housing and want an ESA to live with you, you must be registered with Disability Resources and Education Services (DRES) and fill out their registration form

If you have not been diagnosed with a disability and want to be evaluated to see if you are eligible to have an ESA, you must find a mental health provider in the community to diagnose you and recommend that obtaining an ESA is a reasonable course of treatment given your condition.

To find a mental health professional in our area to help you meet this need, a good place to start is to contact your health insurance provider.  This link allows you to search for local therapists.